Date(s) - 02.16.2023
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Download Event iCal
Learning how to keep a nature journal of your observations can help deepen your connection to art, science, and place. Nature Journaling: Blending Art and Science, a four-week, online workshop hosted by the W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary offers an introduction to ecological principles and drawing techniques.
The interactive series, Nature Journaling: Blending Art and Science, will be held on Zoom from 6 to 7:30 p.m. on four consecutive Thursdays: Feb. 16 and 23, and March 2 and 9. Register at bit.ly/kbs-nature-journal2023 to get the meeting link and password.
The course is partly an introduction to ecology and partly an art class. Each class will begin with a presentation from KBS scientists on the ecology of native plants and landscapes. Participants will spend the remainder of class with local artist Taylor Scamehorn, learning how to document their observations of nature through drawing and nature journaling.
What to expect
Gain skills and experience in:
- Thinking like an artist, a naturalist, and a scientist.
- Understanding of biodiversity at the landscape, community, and organismal scale.
- Identifying patterns and interactions in nature.
- Learning art techniques using graphite and colored pencils.
- Letting your curiosity and exploration of nature navigate subject choice and composition, so that your work is both visually interesting and educational.
About the course, from past participants
“I have never journaled or drawn, so this is exciting! I am going out today to start observing and drawing. Awesome class!”
“This class helped break the ice to try something I was intimidated to do.”
“I want to continue my exploration of this beautiful world, share with kiddos that I am close with to extend the love of nature and art to future generations”
- Dates: Feb., 16 and 23, March 2 and 9, 2023
- Time: Thursday evenings from 6 to 7:30 p.m. EDT
- Course Fee:
Early registration: Through Feb. 1, 2023: members $50 / non-members $60
Normal registration: February 2-13, 2022: members $60 / non-members $70
- Class Registration: bit.ly/kbs-nature-journal2023
Questions? Please call (269) 671-2510 or email email@example.com.
Classes will focus on a different ecological scale, starting with landscapes and ecosystems, then communities, then species.
- Week 1: Introduction to Nature Journaling
- Week 2: Landscape & Ecosystem Ecology
- Week 3: Community Ecology
- Week 4: Species Ecology