The W.K. Kellogg Biological Station is home to a group of talented graduate-student scientists. Find out how some of them found an interest in science, how they got started doing research, and what kinds of animals they study!
There are three main options for using Exploring with Scientists content in your classroom.
Present a four-part, pre-recorded video series about one of the main topics: Frogs (Herpetology), Birds (Ornithology) or Moths and Butterflies (Entomology). Use a scientist’s career card to learn more about their path to a career in science. No fee.
2. Synchronous, live programs
Schedule a live program with a KBS scientist for the full Exploring with Scientists presentation. Program fee.
Present a four-part, pre-recorded video series about one of the main topics: Frogs (Herpetology), Birds (Ornithology) or Moths and Butterflies (Entomology). Then, develop questions with your class and schedule a video Q&A session with a KBS scientist to ask those questions! Program fee.
Live programs: What to expect
- The fee for live programs is $50 per class (up to 30 students) or $125 per class (up to 150 students). Scholarships may be available to cover program cost.
- After choosing your program topic, you’ll receive a link to the virtual field trip two days before the program.
- Plan to start your meeting or webinar 5 to 10 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- Students and teachers will be muted during the presentation.
- You’ll be able to submit questions in the chat or Q&A feature. We will answer questions throughout and after the program, depending on relevance and time.
- After the program, use our section quizzes to review the presentation with students.
3rd grade: 3-LS3-2 Use evidence to support the explanation that traits can be influenced by the environment.
4th grade: 4-LS1-1 Construct an argument that plants and animals have internal and external structures that function to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.
5th grade: 5-ESS3-1 Obtain and combine information about ways individual communities use science ideas to protect the Earth’s resources and environment.
Find more information about Next Generation Science Standards.
Bonus asynchronous content
Meet some other KBS scientists, find out why they started studying science, and learn more about different fields and disciplines like entomology, microbiology, and more!